Matthew Rodreick drove into Madison yesterday afternoon. Jason Stoffer flew into the Wisconsin capitol from Montana last night. Jake Beckstrom has been fine-tuning our 3-day legislator blitz and meeting schedule for weeks.
Die-hard Wisconsin CAN advocate John Martinson arrived at the capitol this morning. And Samantha Troyer - another warrior for functional recovery - will arrive at the people’s house this week as well. Many others from the SCI Community plan to join us in Madison, or have committed to contact the legislators we’re meeting with over the next 3 days.
And we need you to join them! Why? Because after 4 years of hard work, we appear to have the necessary support to pass our $3M SCI Research Grant bill in Wisconsin. This bill would:
- Award $3M to public and private researchers in Wisconsin through a competitive, tiered grant program.
- Research awards will be decided by an advisory council composed of researchers, clinicians, and most importantly, those who live with, or are affected by, spinal cord injury.
- The bill also mandates an institutional indirect cost cap of 8% so that the funds will be driven directly toward research, where it is most needed.
With support from many prominent Republicans (who are the majority in the Wisconsin Assembly and Senate) as well as Democratic Governor Tony Evers, it feels like we have the wind at our backs. But we can’t take anything for granted. Which is why we need your voice!
Please contact the following WI Legislators - no matter where you live - and tell them to support the $3M SCI Research Grant program:
- Representative Mark Born (R - Beaver Dam)
(608) 237-9139 | Rep.Born@legis.wisconsin.gov
- Senator Howard Marklein (R - Spring Green)
(608) 266-0703 | Sen.Marklein@legis.wi.gov
- Representative Terry Katsma (R - Oostburg)
(608) 237-9126 | Rep.Katsma@legis.wisconsin.gov
- Representative Clint Moses (R - Menomonie)
(608) 237-9129 | Rep.Moses@legis.wisconsin.gov
- Representative Donna Rozar (R - Marshfield)
(608) 237-9169 | Rep.Rozar@legis.wisconsin.gov
- Senator Patrick Testin (R - Stevens Point)
(608) 266-3123 | Sen.Testin@legis.wisconsin.gov
Your calls and emails have gotten us this far. Please raise your voice with us this week and help propel us over the finish line this legislative session.